Glasgow Convention Bureau has become the latest UK conference destination to join the Meetings Industry Association (mia), one of the fastest growing associations in the conference, meetings and events sector.
Glasgow Convention Bureau has joined the mia’s Destinations Group alongside existing members London and Partners, Newcastle Gateshead Convention Bureau and Visit Wales.
Aileen Crawford, Head of Conventions at Glasgow Convention Bureau, said: “Glasgow is one of the world’s leading conventions cities with business tourism contributing significantly to the local economy. We are delighted to join the mia's Destinations Group as it will provide us with a platform to share industry best practice and work with fellow convention bureaux and DMOs to strengthen the UK’s position as a world class conference destination.”
Paul Szomoru, Chair of the Meetings Industry Association (mia) Destinations Group, said: “The mia Destinations Group is made up of convention bureaux from across the UK who are committed to wanting to collaborate, to share best practice and work together on training and development. The better skilled, more knowledgeable and more confident people who work in our bureaux are, the more business we’ll win for our destinations and the UK. The Glasgow Convention Bureau is hugely respected in the industry, so we are thrilled to have them come on board to support and be part of this work.”
Notes to editors
For more information, please contact:
- Laura McLean, Corporate Communications Manager, Glasgow Convention Bureau on +44 141 566 0863 / +44 7960 989 373 and [email protected]
About Glasgow Convention Bureau:
Glasgow is one of the world’s leading conference destinations and, today, business tourism contributes significantly to the city’s economy. In the 2016/17 financial year, Glasgow won over 500 new international and UK conferences through to 2023 worth £142 million – the city’s best ever annual return. Glasgow Convention Bureau is the city’s primary point of contact for conference organisers, working with partners on over 100 bids for major UK and international conferences each year.
Glasgow Convention Bureau has been recognised as the UK’s Best Convention Bureau for the past 11 years in a UK-wide poll conducted by the influential industry magazine, M&IT. Since first winning the M&IT title in 2007, Glasgow Convention Bureau has worked with industry, academia, city and national partners to deliver over £1 billion worth of business to Glasgow. That equates to securing more than 3,500 domestic and international conferences, with some 1.3 million conference delegates having spent more than four million nights in the city’s hotels.
About the mia:
The mia is one of the fastest growing associations in the conference, meetings and events sector, founded by a proactive group of hotel and conference centre operators and booking agents to lead the conference, meetings and events industry, providing accreditation, industry awards, research and a voice to government. It has 530 accredited members.
The mia supports members by:
- Providing extensive regional networking opportunities on a monthly basis.
- Helping them to achieve the highest standards of facilities and service through achievement of AIM, the industry standard of quality and excellence.
- Providing a library of best practice and quality standards guidelines.
- Promoting AIM to industry buyers.
- Delivering tangible benefits which support members in the achievement of their own business goals.
- By the provision of information, education, research and advice all of which lead to improved business performance.
- By sharing issues of sector importance with them.
- By raising the profile of business tourism with government.